Here’s a quick peek-a-boo at some of the family-friendly events that are happening in and around Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom this almost-Valentine’s Day weekend. This is not an exhaustive list of fun in Northern Vermont. And, of course, don’t forget all the other fun and memorable outdoor activities like sledding or snowshoeing with the kids!
To add an event to the weekend scoop or to share an event, email nekmoms [*at*] gmail [*dot*] com. For recurring local events, check out the NEK Moms events calendar. Click on “Add Event” to add your event.
Friday, February 10th:
- Ice Skating Lessons (Lyndon), 5:45pm, Fenton Chester Ice Arena, Info call: 626-9361
- Good Shepherd Catholic School 12th Annual Father/Daughter Dance (St. Johnsbury), 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm, Maple Street, Info call: 751-8223
- Newport Father-Daughter Dance (Newport), Gateway Center, 7-9pm, Tickets call 334-3645 ($17 for residents fathers/daughters, $20 nonresidents). Formal dress required.
Saturday, February 11th:
- 2012 Penguin Plunge Series – Newport. 1pm, Gateway Center. Even if you’re not feeling brave enough to take an icy plunge for the Special Olympics Vermont, why not bring the kids up to cheer on those aspiring penguins?
- Valentine Father-Daughter Dance (Orleans), 7-9:30pm, Trinity Parish Hall. $5 per person, $20 maximum per family. Info call: 754-2030 or 525-3734.
- Valentine Bake Sale (W. Burke), 9am-noon, West Burke United Methodist Church
- Newport “Stars on Ice” Winter Carnival. Noon-8:30pm. Grab the Winter Carnival event schedule here. Events include: pizza eating contest, hockey shoot competition, figure skating show, The Kingdom Dixies Band & Sugar on Snow
- Jay Peak Skier/Border Cross Challenge, 9am-4pm. Jay Peak Resort.
- Lake Region Youth Baseball Registration. (Orleans) Children ages 5-16 (boys & girls). Saturday, 9am-2pm, Lake Region Union High School. Bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate to registration.
- Games Day, St. Johnsbury Athenaeum, 11am-3pm.
- Burke Mt. Sledding Hill, Open 5-8pm. $5 person. In front of Sherburne Base Lodge: “parents can relax at the Tamarack Grill, overlooking the lighted hill, while the kids enjoy supervised sledding.” Helmets required.
- Banjo Dan & Bro’ Willy -The Sky Blue Boys (Craftsbury), 7:30pm, The Music Box, Kids are free.
Sunday, February 12th:
- Kingdom Trails “Family-Friendly” Citizens XC Ski Race. 3pm registration. Dashney Nordic Center, E. Burke. 4K Loop.
- St. J Striders Running Club. All levels of runners welcome. 2pm. St. Johnsbury Field House. Kids must be accompanied by an adult.
- Valentine Card Making for Kids, Boxcar & Caboose, St. J., noon – 3pm. Free.
- Public Skating, Fenton Chester Ice Arena (Lyndon), Sundays 12:30-2:30PM
- Lake Region Youth Baseball Registration. (Orleans) Children ages 5-16 (boys & girls), Sunday, 9am -2pm, Lake Region Union High School. Bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate to registration.
Note: We try to verify the accuracy of the event info, but mistakes and the unexpected happen. Be sure to double check event times and schedules, especially in the event of inclement weather.