It’s getting down to the wire now! The weekend before Christmas push has arrived! Though it’s easy to get lost in the to-dos and in the magic preparation, as you’re checking your lists, keep in mind the Santa Fund in St. Johnsbury is still in need of donations and the food bank always needs support.
It doesn’t have to break the bank to put a smile on another child’s face or bring comfort to a family in need. As you’re digging around the cupboards looking for holiday cookie sprinkles or taking inventory, set aside that can of sweet corn that you haven’t yet used or that unopened box of cereal your kids swore they’d eat, and drop goods off at various food bank points around the area. And, as you sit down to wrap those toys you bought and think maybe your DD or DS won’t notice one less gift, go ahead and drop it off (unwrapped) at the St. Johnsbury Fire Station. It’s pretty remarkable how good it can feel (and how easy it can be) to bring joy to someone else!
Now, here’s the NEK Moms (and Dads!) weekend buzz…
If you’re heading toward Montpelier/Burlington this weekend, mamas and dads should know that there’s a brand new KID-FRIENDLY coffee shop in Plainfield. If you’re driving from the NEK to Montpelier along Route 2, Plainfield seems like the perfect location for a coffee break. The coffee shop has wifi, serves cappuccino, house brewed sodas and features other treats. It’s located at the Blinking Light Intersection of Route 2.
In other news, there’s still time to sign up for the new Bill Koch Nordic Ski League for Youth. Info here or at Kingdom Trails. Village Sports in Lyndonville offers a good XC season rental deal for participants and NENSA offers $50 + shipping season rentals.
If you’re thinking about introducing your child to downhill skiing, but worried about the expense, Burke offers $9 lift tickets for J-bar (for mom or dad!) and kids 5 and under ski free. There are also family deals at the Lyndon Outing Club.
Saturday, December 18th:
- Burke Mountain Resort Opens for the season
- Boston Children’s Chorus, North Congregational Church on Main Street (St. Johnsbury) 7pm. Info at Catamount Arts. $10 students.
- Island Pond Christmas Celebration. Info here.
- Bottle Drive at Horizon Deli benefits St. J. Academy student trip to rebuild homes – 10:30am – 3pm
- Farmer’s Market, St. Johnsbury, 10am-1pm, Depot Square
- Celebrate with Santa, Albany Fire Station (12-3pm). Features Santa Photo op, Fire Truck Rides, Bake Sale and Raffles
- Jay Peak Ice Haus, Tree lighting Celebration, 4-6pm
- Weekend Skate, Chester Arena (Lyndon Center), 5:45-7:45pm
- Family Skate Night at IROC (Derby), 6-8 pm. Music, popcorn, water slide. Free for youth with membership and free for parent. Nominal skate rental fee.
- Dog Mt., Angels Among Us Exhibit opening reception, 11am-5pm
Sunday, December 19th: