Looks like it’s time for Vermonters to lay off the Chunky Monkey. According to a new study, Vermonters could stand to become a bit heart healthier and shed more fat, although comparatively speaking Vermont fares better than most states.
Though it’s not the fattest State in the nation or in New England, Vermont’s obesity rate isn’t slowing. Apparently, Vermonters still need to focus more on their health and get moving. Some argue that this study is further proof for designated bike lanes and better sidewalks.
If you’re looking to get moving in Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom, you’re in luck. It’s fitness opportunity galore for moms and dads, families and individuals. Here’s a look at a few activities and programs in our region:
- St. Johnsbury Academy/Community Recreation offers a line-up of recreational opportunities, including aqua fitness classes, sports lessons and programs for all ages, as well as pool and track use opportunities.
- Kingdom Trails Association offers locals the opportunity to bike, ski, snowshoe, run or walk on an award-winning and internationally recognized trail system.
- Kingdom Trail Run & Walk Series (Lyndonville/Burke Area)- every Tuesday night at 6pm, all ages and abilities. Families and kids welcome!!!
- IROC (Newport/Derby area) offers classes, swimming, the gamut of outdoor and inside health & fitness activities
- Weekly Mountain Biking Group Rides on Kingdom Trails. Contact Kingdom Trails or Ideride for info