If you’ve ever wondered if big dreams can start in small places, wonder no more. You know those cute, colorful, lycra SKIDA hats that you’ve seen athletes, locals, tourists, moms and dads wearing in and around Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom–yep, the ones that even the staff at Kingdom Trails and kids on the NEK Bill Koch X-C ski team wear? Well, those hats grew from one person’s idea in a small town in a small state. That one person, recently named as a rising entrepreneurial star by Forbes Magazine and creator of SKIDA hats, is Vermont skier Corinne Prevot.
In 2007, Prevot, then attending Burke Mountain Academy, started making lycra hats for her Burke Mountain Academy teammates and friends, and as demand for these fun, funky, and adorable hats grew, she started selling them at local stores, like at East Burke Sports and The Village Sports Shop in Lyndonville. Fast forward a few years later, SKIDA hats and products are now sold at dozens of stores across the USA and worldwide! And, of course, you can still buy SKIDA hats in and around Northern Vermont–with more places than ever carrying SKIDA products, like the Jay Country Store at the base of Jay Peak.
Even more amazing, Prevot launched SKIDA’s Plus One project. For every order SKIDA receives online that uses the promotional code “DHMC” (short for Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center), SKIDA sends a fleece-lined hat to a cancer center, so patients undergoing chemotherapy can enjoy warmth, comfort and a bit of cheer. Awwww, Corrine. What heart and kindness–now, if there’s an example of social corporate responsibility, SKIDA is it. Psst… Corrine wants to expand her Plus One project to Vermont cancer centers, including in the Northeast Kingdom, so give a shout if you can help her make that happen!
Prevot and her SKIDA company is an inspirational example that people, including moms and dads, and those of all ages and experience, living in small places can rise to do big things. Big dreams can turn turn into fabulous success stories. That’s right, even in Vermont’s tiny, tiny Northeast Kingdom, you, too, can grow your dream!
Enter for a Chance to Win a SKIDA Hat from the Latest Collection
SKIDA hats are worn by all kinds of outdoor enthusiasts–not just super fast skiers. Whether you’re out for a winter day’s jog, shoveling the driveway, or rushing out the door to get your child to preschool, you’re head will heart a yummy, toasty, trendy SKIDA hat. Thanks to SKIDA’s generosity, NEKMoms.com is giving away one SKIDA hat! One lucky winner is going to turn heads in this hat! Here are two new hats from SKIDA’s winter 2011-12 collection. The winner will get one of these hats.
Here’s How to Enter the NEK Moms SKIDA Hat Giveway:
You can get up to EIGHT (8) chances to win this SKIDA hat. Do one (1) or ALL of the following by November 20, 2011 at 11:59 p.m.
1. Leave a comment below (scroll down), mentioning how SKIDA inspires you to start a business or charity project of your own;
2. Click over to the SKIDA site, check out the products available, and leave a comment below listing your favorite;
3. Like the SKIDA Facebook page, and leave a comment below saying you liked SKIDA;
4. Like the NEKMoms Facebook page, and leave a comment below saying you liked NEKMoms;
5. Post to the NEKMoms Facebook Page! Stop by, say hello, share what you love about being a mom, what you love about Vermont, share your favorite outdoor activity, playground, etc. Be sure to mention the giveaway, so we know to count your entry!
6. Follow NEK Moms on Twitter, and leave a comment below with your Twitter handle telling us that you’re now following NEK Moms.
7. Tweet about the SKIDA Hat Giveaway on Twitter. Include @NEKMoms or #NEKMoms somewhere in your Tweet. Let us know you tweeted in a comment below.
8. Place an order with SKIDA (it’s holiday shopping time!!!), be sure to enter promo code “DHMC” so SKIDA donates a hat to the Plus One Project, and leave a comment below telling us which hat you ordered, so everyone can ooh and ahh over it!
*Disclosure – a.k.a The fine print: One winner will be selected via random electronic draw. Must be 18+ to enter contest. Open to U.S. residents with valid U.S. mailing address only. Approximate retail value $35. Void where prohibited by law. Odds of winning depend on numbers of entries received. Contest ends at 11:59 p.m. ET, November 20, 2011. No compensation was received for this post. All images are courtesy of SKIDA.
NEK Moms abides by word of mouth marketing standards and discloses when compensation is provided to provide opinion on products or services. Any views or opinions expressed on this blog are those of NEKMoms.com. Any product, claim, statistic or representation about products or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question. NEKMoms makes no warranties whatsoever. For more information, click over to NEKMoms.com disclosure policy.