The Northeast Kingdom is an awesome place for discovering theater and children’s theater opportunities. There’s Vermont Children’s Theater in Lyndonville. There’s Vermont Family Theatre in Irasburg. Of course, there’s also the School of Creative and Performing Arts Camp (SOCAPA) that takes place annually in the NEK, QNEK and Kingdom County Productions.
This summer there are also a number of creative acting and movement workshops for children around the NEK, including workshops led in Lyndonville at Vermont’s Children Theater (Darling Hill Road) and in St. Johnsbury at Catamount Arts.
Vermont Children’s Theater: Themed Workshops with Ryan Howland
Ryan, a local L.I. graduate and UVM senior, presents four different weekly workshop themes this summer. These workshops include:
- Theatre Around the World (ages 4-10), July 9-13, 9-10:30a.m., $40;
- Improv Wild! (ages 5-13), July 16-20, 1oam-11:30am. $40;
- Acting Like You Mean It (ages 8-14), July 31-August 2, 1oa.m.-noon$45;
- Physical Comedy & Stage Combat (ages 12-18), August 6-10, 12:30-2:30pm, $45.
You can get more information and registration details by calling 802-535-5542 or clicking over to Vermont Children’s Theater.
Catamount Arts: Creative Days with Brianna Hartsock
“Creative Days are an interactive children’s workshop that focuses on creative movement, art, music, theater and using their imagination. There will be a different theme each week. Children will participate in song, expressions, and cooperative play, theater games, and on-stage interactions, different types of art, and simple choreography that express the theme for that week. This workshop is about having fun, being energetic and most of all being creative.”
- Six week session starts June 17th. Two age groups. Age 3 to 6: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 12:15am to 1:00pm. Age 7 to 9: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 1:15pm to 2:00pm. Cost: $25.00 per class / $60.00 per week. Sibling discount. Call 760-791-5939 to sign up.